19 Mar Fire Extinguisher Inspections
The importance of fire extinguisher inspections
Why fire extinguisher inspections are so important. Although you may not notice fire extinguishers in buildings all buildings and companies should have them. Until there comes a time when you would need to use one you probably don’t really think about them. If in the event of a fire, imagine if you went to use one and realised it was no longer working? It is very important to ensure that your extinguishers are inspected on a regular basis to ensure this situation is avoided.
Fire extinguisher inspections – keeping them in working order
Fire extinguisher inspections are important to keep extinguishers in working order.
Monthly Fire Extinguisher Inspections
A mostly inspection is a visual one to ensure that the extinguisher is charged and ready for use. Checks which are carried out are as follows:
- Ensuring the extinguisher is in the correct place, easily accessible and well-marked.
- That the pressure gauge shows its fully charged
- It’s not visually damaged or starting to corrode
- Ensuring that the nameplate and instructions for operating it are facing the correct way.
- Signing and dating the service tag to record the inspection.
Yearly Inspections of your fire extinguishers
These are a more in-depth inspection. The components must be checked to ensure they are all in working order.
- Checks are made for any damage to the exterior
- Service date is checked for the six-year maintenance and hydro test
- Ensuring the agent is loose and it’s not settle
- Checking of the pressure gauge to make sure it’s fully charged and there are no leaks.
- Ensure the pull pin is working correctly and reseal it
- Cleaning of the extinguisher
British Standard 5306 Part3:2009
For your peace of